Are you looking for the closest shave? Or are you tired of nicks, cuts, and razor burn? We show you how to achieve the smoothest, closest shave every time!
1. Shave after a hot shower. The steam from the shower will open up your pores and soften the skin for a closer and smoother shave.
2. Apply a shave oil to moisturize skin prior to the shave and to give the shaver extra glide to prevent cuts and nicks.
3. Use a shaving cream/foam/gel that lathers up to a dense consistency to hold up your facial hair. This will enable the shaver blade to get the closest to the base of each hair.
4. Electric shavers are convenient, but can never get the closest shave. Those multi-blade shavers have expensive refills, so you find yourself pushing each blade cartridge longer even when they are duller than they should be. That is why our favourite tool to shave is a double-edge safety razor. The replacement blades are roughly 25cents each and the shaver shaft has a nice weight and grip for good maneuverability. You might think that it's crazy going from a 3-blade shaver to single blade, but with a single blade, you have more control with the angle of the blade against the skin. Yes, there is a slight learning curve to get used to the one blade, but you can achieve the closest shave with the best control of the blade.
5. Shave in the direction of hair growth. A common misconception is to shave against the grain to get the closest shave. It may be easier for you to shave the hairs off initially, but shaving against the grain can pull hair follicles and modify the direction of hair growth, which results in ingrown hairs. Shaving with the grain will ensure that the hairs will still grow in the same direction, and with a little practice, you can still get a very close shave.
6. Use a cooling and hydrating aftershave balm to soothe the skin after your shave. Your razer actively exfoliates the skin as you shave, so the soothing balm will help rehydrate your skin and cool down the skin from any irritation.
Once you incorporate our tips into your routine, you'll wonder how it was possible to shave any other way. Welcome to cleaner shaving and softer skin!