Back to School Guide - The Best Grilled Cheese Recipe
Posted: Aug 31 2016
Image via Quentin Bacon
Since we're focusing on Back 2 School this week, we're bringing you a delicious twist on a classic favourite. The grilled cheese sandwich is the perfect pick-me-up snack. Although the typical recipe is very bare bones, the one we're about to present to you is as fancy as a grilled cheese gets. With that being said, we're convinced it will become your favourite snack recipe.
What you will need (serving 6):
- 12 slices of bacon (thick cut)
- 1 cup of mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup dijon mustard
- 1/4 cup fresh parmesan cheese
- salt and fresh ground black pepper
- 1 white pullman loaf or sourdough bread, sliced 1/2 inch thick (12 slices)
- 6 tablespoons salted butter
- 6 ounces aged gruyere or comte cheese
- 6 ounces extra-sharp cheddar of your choice
How it's made:
1. The first thing you'll want to do is preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Place the strips of bacon on a sheet pan and let it bake for 20-30 minutes or until nicely browned. Once done, take the bacon and cut into 1-inch pieces.
2. While the bacon sits in the oven, combine the mayonnaise, mustard, Parmesan, 1 1/2 teaspoons salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper in a small bowl. Lay 12 slices of bread on a board and spread each one lightly with butter. Flip the slices and spread each one generously with the mayonnaise mixture.
3. Distribute the bacon evenly on half of the slices of bread. Grate all the different types of cheese and pile 1/3 of it cup evenly on top of the bacon and top with the remaining bread slices.
4. In the meantime, heat an electric panini press (or use a pan). Cook the sandwiches for 3 to 5 minutes in batches until the bread is toasted and the cheese is melted.
5. Allow to cool for 2 minutes. Cut in half and serve warm. Enjoy!
Recipe via Ina Garten