If you've walked into a mens fashion retailer recently, you've probably felt a little bit overwhelmed when you see all he types of jeans for men. Our retail stores are guilty of this dilemma as well since we aim to provide a deep range of brands which can sometimes have you feeling lost. Thankfully, our helpful staff have the knowledge to guide you through our selection.
Shopping for mens jeans online is different. You don't get the same luxury of trying a pair of jeans on before buying it so it leaves a lot up for uncertainty. Here's a complete guide on the different types of jeans for men, as well as the best denim jeans for your body type.
Jeans for Body Type
Not all men are built the same; that is just a simple fact of life. You've probably walked into a mens clothing store before and tried on a couple pairs of jeans, just to discover that none of them fit your body in a way that you think jeans should fit. This is because there is no "standard" or true "regular" fit when it comes to jeans. Some of the cuts are a bit more universal (usually on the baggier side) but you'll find that jeans are usually cut with a specific "normal" in mind. This doesn't always translate to YOUR body type so why settle?
Here are a few standard fits for mens jeans. Based on your body build, you are going to fall along this spectrum.
Jeans for Skinny Guys
If you fall under this category, your best two options are slim fit and skinny fit jeans. If you've got a skinny frame, you'll want to stay away from any styles that will make your proportions look bigger than they actually are. So say goodbye to relaxed and loose jeans and start embracing the more flattering cuts.
- If you're looking to invest in some jeans as a skinny guy, make sure to get either a slim fit or skinny pant. These silhouettes will compliment your toned body shape the most.
- There is a difference between skinny jeans and skin tight jeans. Stay away from jeans that make you feel like you've cut off circulation. Make sure you have a bit of breathing room.
- If you're worried about comfort, many jean designers incorporate stretch into their denim these days such as DU/ER and Nudie Jeans. Just look for elastane in the fabric content.
Best Jeans for Skinny Men
If you're the slender type, we recommend looking into either a pair of Naked & Famous, Nudie, or Neuw. For Naked & Famous we suggest their Skinny Guy or Super Skinny Guy silhouettes. For Nudie Jeans, stick to their Thinn Fin or Lean Dean. Neuw denim's Iggy Skinny is a great choice.
Neuw Denim, Nudie Jeans, Naked & Famous Denim
Jeans for Regular Guys
Ok let's say you're in the middle of the spectrum. You don't wear skinny jeans because they hug you a little bit too tightly but loose jeans make you look like you're swimming in extra room. What type of jean will suit your body type? Which brands should you be looking into?
Finding the right denim jeans for a medium build can be quite the challenge. Medium can vary because some guys who fall into this category have slightly larger thighs than others, or maybe some of them have a larger waist but slimmer legs. Either way, you'll want to invest into some regular or relaxed fit jeans. You want a pair of jeans that don't suffocate your normally sized legs while showing off a bit of muscle. You also want them to sit just right on your hips without being too baggy.
- Skinny jeans should be out of the picture (if you're looking for something flattering). Stick to regular or relaxed fit jeans (slim if you're right in-between a skinny and regular body type).
- If you've got a little bit of muscle, show it off by wearing straight leg jeans. You'll want the pants to slightly hug your thighs without suffocating them too much.
Best Jeans for Regular Guys
Our recommendations for this category are jeans from either Fidelity, DU/ER, or G-Star. All three of these brands hit the sweet spot for men with a regular body build. For Fidelity, we recommend their 50-11 classic straight cut or their Jimmy Jean. DU/ER Denim, although offer slim jeans, are still a really good choice since they offer an incredible amount of stretch and comfort. If you're shopping for G-Star, take a look at their Revend Straight and Attacc Straight jeans.
Fidelity Denim, DU/ER, G-Star Raw
Jeans for Bigger Men and Jeans for Weightlifters
If you fall into this category, it means that you're either athletic (squats for days) or maybe you just carry a few extra pounds. Either way, shopping for jeans as a bigger guy can have it's challenges. Unfortunately, partaking in the skinny and slim fashion trends isn't going to work (you can still follow these trends, but they wont be flattering for your body type). If you fall under this category, stick to either relaxed or loose fitting denim.
- Stay away from skinny jeans as they will not only be uncomfortable, but also wont help highlighting your body shape. Slim and regular jeans could work, under the condition that they have a lot of added stretch for comfort and mobility (see DU/ER or Fidelity Denim).
- If you have big legs due to hitting the gym a lot, it doesn't hurt to highlight your thighs and calfs with a slightly slimmer fitting pair. Make sure that you still have enough breathing room though.
Best Jeans for Bigger Guys and Athletic Men
Fidelity denim will be your best bet here. Their loose styles such as their Jimmy Jean will work perfectly with your bigger thighs and overall leg muscle.
Fidelity Denim, G-Star Raw, Fidelity Denim
These tips are just a guideline to find the pair of jeans which will flatter your body type the most. If you're on the skinnier side and don't feel comfortable in skinny jeans, it's totally fine to buy a pair of looser denim. Vice versa, if you're on the heavier side but feel really comfortable in a pair of skinny jeans, by all means go ahead. As long as the jeans make you feel comfortable and confident, that's the most important part.