Spring is officially here and with it are brand new and emerging trends. The landscape of menswear is constantly shifting and 2017 is no different. We've narrowed it down and listed what we believe to be key menswear trends which are gaining major momentum this year. Without further ado, here they are!
Double denim is back and with a vengeance. No we aren’t talking about the kind of double denim which Justin Timberlake was spotted in next to Britney Spears in the early 00’s (google if you dare). This time around, the trend is highly focused on boxy fits, rad washes, and intricate distressing.
- Although wearing the same colour of denim looks sleek, experiment with different shades of blue for your tops and bottoms
- If you’re wearing a lighter denim wash, consider layering it up with some taupe, cream, or white coloured t-shirts
- Invest in a slightly bigger denim jacket which allows for easy layering with hoodies and sweaters
This season we are seeing a surge in popularity in dusty colours such as pink, blue, and light grey. Although 'palewave' made its splash in 2016, these lighter shades continue to be relevant in 2017. Popular fashion pieces following this trend were spotted on the runway by heavyweight designers such as Valentino, Giorgio Armani, and Gucci just to name a few.
- These dusty colours work great with lighter washes of denim
- Be conscious of the shade you pick. Stay away from colours which are too close to your true skin colour to avoid washing yourself out
- Use a pale coloured hoodie to layer underneath a light jacket
Jet-set Chic (not to be mistaken with athleisure) is the concept of wearing an outfit which you can comfortably travel around in, without looking like a slob. This season, you don’t need to be a member of the frequent flyers club in order to pull off this style. Grab yourself some comfortable sweatpants and luxuriously soft tops, pair it with cozy sneakers and you'll be ready for lift-off!
- Accessorize the look with headwear, jewelry, or a watch to add another layer to the look
- Stick to comfortable and luxurious leather sneakers or runners for easy traveling
- Invest in a couple pairs of no-show socks in order to create a smooth transition from your sweatpants to your sneakers
Distressed / Ruched / Zippered Pants
2016 was a big year for distressed pants, but there are no signs of this trend slowing down this year. If you follow a handful of menswear influencers on Instagram, chances are that you’ve noticed a big shift towards heavily distressed jeans. Not only that, but thanks to Jerry Lorenzo’s ‘Fear of God’ line, zippers on jeans have become one of the most sought after details in men's bottoms this year.
- Distressing is in, but make sure not to go overboard. If you can see more leg than jean, you're doing it wrong
- For zippered pants, try unzipping the pants about a third of the way to let them lay flat on your sneakers
- If you're wearing high-tops, tuck in your zippered/ruched pants for some awesome stacks