Travel Guide 101: Packing Clothes for Travel
Posted: Jun 16 2017
Does packing for travel and vacation stress you out? This guide takes the difficulty out of packing, so you can focus on what's important: your adventures ahead!
Believe it or not, you can pack all you need for any trip in a personal bag and a carry-on wheeled luggage. This means you don't need to lug around checked bags or worry about lost baggage at your destination. Follow our tips, and be the expert packer that you never knew you could be!
Tip: Versatility is Key
By packing clothing that can be mixed and matched easily, you save a lot of room. Here are a list of essentials that can keep your style game on point, while saving extra space.
1. Black Stretch Chinos - matches with everything. Wear casually with a tee, jeans, and sneakers or dressed up with a dress shirt, blazer, and boots
Our pick: DU/ER No Sweat Pants in Slim Fit
2. Neutral Crew Neck T-shirt - Pick a neutral shade (black, grey, or white). You can wear it under a blazer and chinos, or with a pair of jeans for a casual look.
Our Pick: SAXX 3Six Five Pima Cotton Crew Neck Tee
3. Black Oxford Shirt - With the button down collar, an oxford shirt can be paired with a blazer, chinos, and boots for a formal occasion, or be worn open over a t-shirt for a casual layered look.
Our Pick: Naked & Famous Regular Guy Black Oxford Shirt
4. Neutral Chino Shorts - Chino fabric is a nice light weight, but casual enough to match with a casual tee. Pick a neutral colour (black, khaki, or navy).
Our Pick: Zanerobe Sureshot Shorts
5. Lightweight Bomber Jacket - Arguably the most versatile jacket style. Great with dress shirts and equally stylish with tees and hoodies.
Our Pick: Kuwalla Tee Light-weight Oxford Bomber
6. Lightweight Sneakers - Lightweight with cushioning is key. We recommend EVA foam soles. Black or white colorways are the most versatile.
Our Pick: People Phillips Low Sneakers in Black
7. Black Dress Shoes/Boots - Chelsea or lace-up boots will look great with jeans, but can be dressed up with chinos or slacks for formal occasions.
Our Pick: Redwing Heritage Iron Ranger Boots
8. Neutral Zip Hoodie - Great to keep on the go to throw on for a chill evening. Pick a neutral colour (black or grey)
Our Pick: Comme des Garcons PLAY Grey Cotton Zip Hoodie
9. Polo Shirt - Polos are another one of those versatile pieces that can be dressed up or down. Pick your favourite colour, or stay neutral (white, grey, navy, black). If you're not into polos, sub in your favourite henley or short sleeve button-up shirt.
Our Pick: Fred Perry Double Tipped Polo Shirt
10. Dad Hat (Baseball Cap) - Great trending piece for just off the plane or on those days when you don't have time to coif your hair.
Our Pick: Zanerobe Etch Curved Brim Cap
11*. Lightweight Waterproof Rain Jacket - You never know if it's going to rain or not, so pack a lightweight packable waterproof shell jacket for emergencies.
*if there's no chance of rain in the forecast, skip this item.
Our Pick: RAINS Translucent Waterproof Jacket
Tip: Pick Statement Pieces
With the essentials alone, you can get through your trip without a hitch, but adding a few statement pieces and trending colours into your travel wardrobe will keep you looking great with little effort:
1. Long Tees - Pick a couple long tees in this season's trending dusty colours (pink, peach, blue, olive green, tan, or grey). If you have a favourite graphic tee, you can pick that as well.
Our Picks: Zanerobe Flintlock Tees & McQ Graphic Tee
2. Blue Jeans - Pack your favourite go-to blue jeans. Light wash/bleached denim is trending this season, so choose your lightest pair if you have multiple choices.
Our Pick: NEUW Denim Iggy Jeans in Beaten Blue
3. Pullover Hoodie - A pullover hoodie is perfect for layering up. It looks great under a bomber, or over a tee. For a statement, pick a brighter trend colour like peach, pale pink, pale blue, dusty olive green, or light tan.
Our Pick: Kuwalla Tee Drop Back Hoodie
Tip: Pack spare underwear/socks for emergencies
Don't overlook the undergarments. While the right underwear can keep you comfortable all day long, the right socks can perfect your outfit.
1. Underwear - Pack 2 more than the number of days you are gone for emergency purposes. We recommend boxer briefs for their comfort and fit, but choose your go to cut of underwear.
Our Pick: SAXX Platinum Microfibre Boxer Briefs
2. Casual & Dress Socks - Pick a couple patterned long socks; they add a pop of colour for any dressed up look, but also look great under jeans. Then, for your casual days, try the no-sock look without sweaty clammy feet by wearing no-show socks, or grab some socks that just hit the ankle for a hint of colour. Pack enough no-show/ankle socks to have a fresh pair each day, and throw in 3 long socks to be covered for your trip.
Our Pick: Instance Super Invisible Socks , Instance Low Socks, and HS Dress Socks
Now you're all set to go. Happy travels and check back soon for our tips on how to pack easily and efficiently!