The time has come again for the infamous Met Gala at the Metropolitan Museum of Art. This year, the theme is Heavenly Bodies: Fashion and the Catholic Imagination, and all eyes will were on the celebrity guests of last night's invite-only launch event!
For those of you that are not in the know, every year, the Costume Institute of the Metropolitan Museum of Art collaborates with Vogue Editor-in-Chief, Anna Wintour, to curate a themed fashion-focussed exhibition with a specific theme. For the invite-only opening gala, Anna Wintour hand selects high-profile guests to attend. Guests are encouraged to dress based on the exhibition theme, and this annual event has become a media spectacle with international press coverage.
The religious theme created a stage for menswear to take the spotlight. We take a look at the most notable menswear looks at this year's Met Gala.
1. Chadwick Boseman - Dressed in Versace, Chadwick's embroidered white suit and cape paid homage to Roman Catholic priest garb. Christian Louboutin gold loafers and Bvlgari jewelry completed his look.
2. Darren Chriss - Dolce & Gabbana has had a history of a Catholic influence in its designs. That is why it was so fitting for Darren Chriss to be dressed by the Italian fashion house for the Met Gala. Darren wore an intricately beaded blazer paired with silky burgundy pants and black embroidered velvet loafers. The look was classy and on-theme for the event.
3. Andy Cohen - Another win for Dolce & Gabanna was Andy Cohen, with his statement Cape/Coat hydrid and opulent loafers. His gold cape/coat was quilted with ornate embroidery and black lapel/details. The loafers were black with visually captivating 3D gold appliqué. He paired the 2 standout peaces with a clean black and white tuxedo underneath.
4. Jared Leto - Arguably taking it a little too far was Jared Leto. His Gucci ensemble featured a gold jewelled crown and white embroidered sash. His silky suit featuring oversized black velvet labels with embroidered tigers added even more to the outfit. There were a few too many eye-catching elements to this look, which fought for your attention.
5. Christian Combs - Although P Diddy (Sean Combs) stayed safe in an all white clergy-inspired outfit with a single white cross on his neck, his son, Christian, went with the route of more-is-more. Christan Combs donned a Dolce & Gabanna intricately embroidered and jewelled blazer, gold sequinned shirt, embroidered pants, and velvet embroidered loafers to match. It didn't stop there. He also wore a gold and red jewelled crown to complete the opulent look. Although his blazer definitely resembled Roman Catholic designs, we thought the crown was a little overkill.
6. Migos (Quavo, Offset, & Takeoff) - The trio showed off their own style personas and the Met theme with a perfect balance. The bright Versace tuxedo jackets looked to be inspired by stained glass windows of old cathedrals. They let the jackets shine with the rest of their outfits mostly in black and accessorized with shades and their signature ice.
7. Donald Glover (Childish Gambino) - Took a more subtle approach to the Met Gala with a pale mauve Gucci tuxedo that featured a large gold embroidered illuminati pyramid symbol on his back. He completed the look with white Gucci loafers.
8. Virgil Abloh - Showcasing the first Louis Vuitton Atelier menswear under his creative direction, Virgil Abloh arrived in a cream white tuxedo with intricately embroidered sash and waistcoat. He carried a matching beaded cylindrical minaudière to complete the look. Virgil also took this opportunity to debut the latest addition to his Nike x Off-White collaboration: The Air Jordan 1 "UNC". We would have preferred something a little more cohesive for the look, but at least the kicks somewhat had the same colour story as the outfit.
9. Justin Theroux - Although he did not embrace the Met Gala theme, we had to mention Justin Theroux's suave and classy outfit by Louis Vuitton. Justin donned a perfectly fitted Louis Vuitton Tuxedo in all black, with black Chelsea boots to match. The only religious reference was in his crisp white bishop's collar shirt.
10. Honorable Mentions (Michael B. Jordan, Andrew Garfield, Idris Elba, Ricardo Tisci, Nick Jonas, Tom Brady, Lewis Hamilton, & Troye Sivan) - Last but not least were the men that looked great, but had little to no connection to the Met Gala theme.
Michael B. Jordan was dressed in a Off-White suit with a tiny David Yurman Cross Brooch on his lapel.
Andrew Garfield donned a red velvet tuxedo jacket, white shirt, and black pants/loafers by Tom Ford.
Idris Elba looked suave in an all-black Givenchy suit.
Ricardo Tisci also kept it simple with a black Burberry Tuxedo.
Nick Jonas wore a perfectly fitted Dolce & Gabbana suit, with nothing but a cross pendent referencing the theme.
Tom Brady donned an all-black Versace suit with gold embroidery.
Lewis Hamilton dressed in an all-white Tommy Hilfiger embroidered suit with statment white Loriblu boots to match.
Last but not least, Troye Sivan chose to wear a scarlet red Valentino tuxedo with sheer red mesh top.